Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

O H I O

Getting the opportunity to fly to Ohio after so many years of being there last was the most amazing experience. Family means the world to me, so it was amazing getting to go spend a few days just having quality time with them. 

This was truly one of my favorite trips. We didn't really do a lot, but that's why it was amazing because we were just present and together and really soaking up the time we had. 




We had quite the adventure getting there! I got a call from Daniel on Friday on my home from school. Our flight was supposed to be that evening, but he called to tell me it had gotten cancelled due to snow in Chicago (our layover). I was so sad. He told me that it was rescheduled for early Saturday. I pulled myself together and went to get my nails done to pass some time since we weren't going to be leaving that night. When I got home, Ash, Dan, and Kai were sitting around the table. (Mom and dad were already there since they went a few days before us.) We all sat there racking our brains out trying to figure out what to do because we got word that the flight had now been delayed to Saturday afternoon, meaning we wouldn't get in until late Saturday. We were so sad. I finally had the idea to Call Jordan Solomon to see if he could hook us up. SURE ENOUGH... he said he could get us on a plane in about an hour. I packed my bag and we left right then for the airport. It was pure chaos trying to drive there while getting the tickets and finding parking. But WE MADE IT. We got on the flight and got there late Friday night. We picked up our rental car and drove to Cambridge. It was so nostalgic walking into their house. The smell. The memories. It all came back to me from my childhood trips there.

Ash, Kai, Dan, and I were all squished sharing a room, but it turned out so fun! We could barely even shut the door haha. Every morning we loved all waking up and drinking coffee, playing bananagrams, doing crossword puzzles and word searches, and just hanging out. 




The first day we had a big reunion with grandpa's family. It was so good to be able to meet some people that we had never gotten to see before. Then grandpa took us to his bar that night, the one he spends every evening at for a couple of hours. We just hung out, played pool, had some Shirley Temples, ate the yummiest wings, and had some good chats. 

We all stayed up til the middle of the night playing Cover Your Assets and Battle of the Sexes every single night. That is probably my favorite memory of the whole trip. We all just had so much fun and dad even played with us and LOVED it. I loved when dad said, "Are we playing games tonight, guys?" Dad has never been a game guy, but we've changed him! We all about peed our pants every night from laughing so hard. We even got grandma and grandpa to play Battle of the Sexes one night. So hilarious! They could never read the little slip of paper. 






One day was spent celebrating Preston's birthday! It was so crazy and amazing to see him again. He was tiny the last time we saw him so it was pretty surreal. We even got to see where he is living with his grandma Tami. She seems to be taking good care of him, but it was hard not to get sad about his hard life. We wish we could bring him here to live. He is the sweetest boy. 


This was the house that mom's grandma and grandpa Hose (on her mom's side) lived in forever. She pretty much grew up here because she stayed with them so much. I actually still remember going there the last time we were there and they were still alive. I wish we could have gone inside. 


We got to video great grandpa one morning about some of his great stories and memories. That was pretty amazing and I'm sure we will treasure having that on film forever. He is the funniest guy and I love him so much. 





We got to all go see great grandpa's place at his sister Diana's and he showed us all his coin collections and had us all peeing our pants because he pulled his gun out and freaked us out sticking it right in his eye to be funny. He said it wasn't loaded, but still freaky! We took him to dinner with us that night. It was so yummy! The place had the best pie. Look at these giant slices. It was so cute that grandpa ordered salmon and applesauce. He had to be healthy. So adorable. 



Stopped at the best grilled cheese restaurant on our way to the airport! 



It was an amazing trip just being able to spend good solid quality time with everyone. I came home feeling so refreshed and happy. I love trips like this with no agenda, but just getting to spend time together, laughing our butts off. We loved traveling with Ashy and Kai! 

This is a trip I'll never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment