Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

IVF: stims, retrieval, and transfer prep

Well, here I am... the day before my transfer. I can hardly believe how fast this day got here. It's crazy because every day feels like 100 years on its own, but it feels like just yesterday I was starting stims (shots) again for our second try after getting Covid. I think I'll kind of break this up into sections to help my brain. 

STIMS

We started off with stims on March 3rd, the day after my birthday. There's not much to report there. My body did really well. I was taking Gonal-F and Menopur for the first five days. Then I went in on day five for my first ultrasound. Things looked great. They were counting tons of follicles, about nineteen I'm pretty sure. We felt very hopeful with that number! We started Cetrotide the next morning (this prevents you from ovulating). So from that point, I was doing the two evening shots and the one morning shot. 

This is Dan's "smile"

Dan had to leave me on Tuesday (day 7 into stims) for a work trip to Idaho with the CBX guys, so I was left to fend for myself. The first night, mom helped me. We were both pretty nervous since Dan has been doing all of them. But, it went well! The next morning before my day 8 ultrasound, I had to get real brave (what choice did I have?) and I gave myself my morning shot. What?! It wasn't bad at all! It was actually better. I began to realize it was much easier to do my own shots... made it so I could control the speed it was going in. That morning I went to my ultrasound and it went really well! I was happy to report to Dan that there were 11 follicles that were looking really good. That means that they were growing at a steady rate. That was kind of the prediction for how many they'd retrieve. They had me come in again the next morning and things were progressing! Can you believe those little follicles can grow up about 2 mm a day?? They decided I was ready to trigger that night (2 shots to make me ovulate) and come in for retrieval on Saturday. Perfect timing with Dan coming home. I can't believe how fast we got to that point! 

The trigger shot... what an experience. Madi had come to stay with me Wednesday night and Thursday night to keep me company and give me moral support. Natalie also came to hang out with us Wednesday and Tay and Jennie were coming Thursday. The plan was for Tay to do the one trigger shot that had to go in my butt. Well, I got my trigger shot time and it was going to be 6:30 pm that night! Tay couldn't make it until 7:30, so I knew I needed a new plan. My mom offered, but I ended up asking Jennie because I knew she was coming over anyway. She said she was comfortable and that she'd be there before 6:30. I started getting Madi sucked into The Affair while we waited... 6:10 rolled around. I figured we better get the shots mixed up and ready to go. I was getting anxious and so was Madi. As I was mixing the shots, Madi called Jennie and we found out that Ozzy (her pup) had run and she had been chasing him and that's why she was running late. We all quickly realized she might not make it by 6:30 and that's when the panic set in for Madi and me.... Madi would have to do the shot. She was freaking out because of how big the needle was and I was freaking out because she was freaking out! Not a good combination. I started showing Madi the video for the shot and preparing her. At 6:27 I gave myself the first trigger in the belly. Then it was go time for Madi. I could tell it was taking everything in her to remain calm for me, meanwhile pacing the house looking for Jennie out the window. Right before Madi was about to do it, Jennie showed up at about 6:35 and came running in. She said she would do it, so I laid on the bed and kept sitting up remembering things that we needed to tell Jennie. It was pretty funny. Then she did it. I was like, "What's happening?" and she said we were done?! All of that hype and I literally couldn't feel it? I can't believe it. We relived that story all night and laughed our butts off. Then we told Tay when she got there and laughed our butts off again. It was quite the experience. Then we were all stressed we had done it 8 minutes late! Haha! 

This was after the shot... we were running around like chickens with our heads cut off before! haha


Then we got a delivery from "Dixie Normous".... bet you can't guess who did that? Mr. out of town for the trigger shot. Tay, Madi, Jennie and I had a fun rest of the night going to Nacho daddy, reminiscing on the incident from early, and chatting. Tay stayed over with Madi and me. It was so fun to feel like old times! 

Dan got home the next day just in time for the retrieval on Saturday. 

RETRIEVAL

I had to stop eating at 10 pm on Friday. We woke up bright and early at 5:00 am. We got ready and I did some scripting and meditating before the procedure. It all went very well! We got there and they got my I.V. going right away. That made me really nervous for some reason. After that, there was lots of signing and doctors coming in and out to talk to us. Then it was time for me to go back to the surgery room and Dan to go... ya know, do his thing. They had me lie down on this super low bed and put my legs up over these stirrups. I was feeling quite vulnerable with all of the doctors surrounding me. Then the anesthesiologist said he was put in my meds to make me fall asleep. I asked him how long it would be and he said about 30 seconds... he wasn't wrong. I immediately got fuzzy and I remember the nurse saying she was raising the bed and then I was gone. I woke up back in the chair I started in... not sure how I got there. They gave me some crackers and a juice box, the best part and then Dan reappeared and told me they retrieved 13 eggs! Amazing! We rested there for a bit and then they wheeled me out to the car. 


Allie sent me the yummiest cookies while I rested. She's the best!

The rest of the day was spent relaxing on the couch. Mom and dad brought us Zao and Tony Burger for lunch and we visited with them. Then, Payt, Ash, Jord, and Kai all stopped by later to hang out, which was really fun. We watched lots of Youtube videos to show what was happening with our embryos. Then, it was the waiting game to hear about the embryos...

WAITING, WAITING, WAITING...

Well, I finally got the call on Monday about our embryos. So we had started out with 13. Only 11 of them were actually mature (big enough to progress). So they fertilized those 11 and then when they checked them Monday, 7 of them had successfully fertilized and started dividing. This is a good thing. They want them to continue dividing each day so that they can reach the blastocyst stage. That's the goal. I asked the embryologist on the phone how many we could expect to make it to that stage and he said about half. So that puts us at 3-4. Hopefully. Could be MORE, and also could be less. We're hoping for more! They'll also grade them and we'll be using the highest graded one first. Here's a picture of what they should be doing and the end goal. 


So that was the last I heard, about the 7 that had successfully fertilized. Then it has been a complete waiting game since then. It has been rough. I have to say, Monday was hard. I was a little disappointed only 7 fertilized. I was hoping for more, because I knew there would be another drop-off after that. However, our amount of our eggs that fertilized is right around average. I was just being optimistic! Haha. We obviously want to have a good amount of extra ones if we need to do IVF again for other kids, but 3-4 doesn't leave us with a lot. Also, there could be some in there in our batch of blastocysts that won't make it to a live birth. So in the last couple days I've had to come to terms with the fact that we may have to start from scratch in a couple years and do another retrieval. And that's going to have to be okay. OR maybe we'll get lucky and magically get pregnant on our own after the first. It was also hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that we wouldn't get another update until our transfer. WHAT? That came by surprise to me. I thought I'd be updated daily, but I guess they want to disturb them the least amount possible. 

So that's what brings us to now. It's just been a lot of anxiety and waiting the last few days, but here we are. The transfer is tomorrow at 9:30 am! I'll be doing acupuncture right before and then I'll go again at noon. There's a lot of science behind doing it before and after and it increasing the chances of IVF success. I'll continue to do acupuncture to assist in implantation and then just a healthy pregnancy. 

I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off today trying to keep busy - making lentil soup, acupuncture, yoga, cleaning, getting stuff ready for my students since I'll be gone tomorrow, walking Tilly, etc. 

Apparently, lentil soup is a great aid in implantation! So I'll be eating this all weekend. 


Grow little embabies, grow!!!! Here we go. Ready or not, here comes the transfer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment