Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

"family matters most"


Today in my educational psych class my teacher started out with a story about how when she was a really busy teacher, a new one at that, she had a planner and she would schedule everything. Keep in mind that she was still going to school while she started teaching. She said that one day her daughter asked if she would take her to look at prom dresses. She looked at her planner and decided that Saturday would work. So, they went to look for the perfect dress. She was so excited, as it was her first prom. They looked all over, driving everywhere and they were gone all day. She was getting frustrated with her daughter and by the end of the day they still hadn't found anything. They were driving in the car when her daughter said that she had an idea. My teacher explained how her daughter presented the idea that they could make the dress together. She said she almost shouted out, "You ungrateful brat!" She felt as though she had wasted all day driving around looking for dresses. But she held her tongue. They ended up making the dress together and her daughter taught her some things about stats along the way. The day of prom, her daughter came down the stairs, beautiful as ever and ran over to her throwing her arms around her. Her daughter thanked her and told her how much she loved it.

So there is a point to all of this.

 She explained that although we are all busy with school and this program and all of the other things we have to do in life, sometimes we just have to choose family or friends, or people that really matter to us. Sometimes they need us more than our studies. On our death bed, we won't be worried about how much we should have studied for psych, but the time we spent with people. So, sometimes you have to choose people over studies.

And it's just going to have to be okay.

I loved tonight. My mom made The World's Best Lasagna (which I thought was no better than "her" lasagna), I took them to Menchie's, and then I just talked with my family about my grandma, Connie, Preston, that whole situation. I am so grateful I did. I have so much to do, but it can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment